tiistai 7. toukokuuta 2013

Day 227: Unraveling dependency - a new perspective

07052013

nobody likes me - http://efana.deviantart.com/art/Spikes-30DC-258571057


“God, I'm so sick and tired of this point reoccurring!” Good. That means I am willing to move on. So what is it that I am holding onto? What is it that I am unwilling to let go?

I have used people to create a sense of stability, certainty and self-worth. I have done this ever since high school when I got “real” friends as compared to those I had had throughout my preliminary education. I was so happy to have friends that actually liked me and wanted to hang out with me that I completely imprinted on them and got dependent on them – and I never realized that the reason people wanted to hang out with me was that I was likable – not that they were kind enough to stick around. This dependency of mine became a strain every now and then and I realized I couldn't rely on my friends because they had lives of their own. Instead I turned to romantic relationships – they were about lifelong commitment, right? - to fulfill my need to rely on others.

This pattern still prevails. When I do not have any romantic sizzle going on, I turn to friends – when I am in a relationship, I fully hold onto that one person. And this is because I fear loneliness, I fear myself, I fear facing myself, I do not rely on myself. There's this sense of dread and panic when I realize that there is no one here I could turn to with a plausible excuse, when I realize that it would be the best course of action if I just staid alone right now – I can't breathe, the walls start coming in, the room seems darker, the world's more distant. It's like everything around me turns into a frightening demon – when in fact the demon is me.

These moments when the night is falling but it's not completely dark yet are the worst. It's a reminder that the darkness is coming and that the electric light indoors is not enough to resemble the day. My fallacies, illusions, tricks, beliefs and imagery are not enough to blind me from reality – the darkness of the utter, inescapable state of being ALONE.

It has been difficult for me to face the fact that I am just one, I am just me, I am nobody else no matter how much I live through others to make my life seem fulfilling. This means I hold all responsibility of myself, as does everyone of themselves respectively, and that I cannot escape myself anymore.

I am horribly afraid to admit the fact that I am dependent on people and the social relations I have defined “safe”. I fear that when I admit this people will run away screaming. I fear I will be judged and find no support. I fear I will be digging my own grave by admitting my flaws. I fear that by admitting my dependency on people I will lose all contact with people. But this is to pass the responsibility. This is to blame others for possible consequences. If others were to run away, it would be an opportunity for me to learn to be self-supported – not a grave, not the end of the world, not death – even though it would be “the death” of who I used to be.

I feel like I am not enough for myself. I am leaving for this trip and I fear that I will be disappointed with my own company when there is no one familiar there to validate my self-worth. When there is no familiar face to smile at me will I crumble away? If this is the case, who am I then within all my familiar social relations, if not an attention addict begging for others to keep me standing? Who the fuck am I to do that, to beg, to abuse, to wither helpless and whimpering, helpless as a child given up on everything? Who am I to curl up privileged and limp, clogged within my self-interest?

It is weird to write and read these words because I feel like I am looking at a child – and that is who I am, who we all are who have not yet learned to stand nor walk. I am not yet grown. I have posture to find, steps to take, balance to weigh, rhythm to try.

Before I can move myself as a functioning human being I've got to first learn how to stand. I've got to let go of the hands of others, take a breath and make a leap into the darkness of being ALONE. If I fall, I get back up and try again. Eventually I will find the balance, the step, the pace.



I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to live through relationships of dependency where I have asked for others to carry me through life so that I would never have to face myself, carry myself, move myself, make decisions for myself or take responsibility for myself.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to live as a cancer cell within the human kind as I have used, abused and consumed other people instead of being a single, individual cell unattached to others and thus functional.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to feed on the “life force” of others – the activeness, self-honesty, uncompromisingness, self-expression and self-directedness I've seen manifested in others – by making my life experience reliant on the presence and company of others and the lives they live, seeing no life for myself without/beyond these people as most of my time and energy is spent on wanting to be with them, fearing to lose them, fantasizing about being with them and, eventually, being with them.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to fear admitting having been extremely dependent on others because I have feared facing the shame of revealing myself to myself, this justified with the fear that others will “judge” me.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself in one of my previous partnerships to manifest dependency by defining the attention, affection and appreciation of another to be the only source of acceptance for me, feeling as if I had been “saved” from loneliness and from the compulsory competition to find a partner, thus within an extended period of time building this relationship into my “nest” and stability point, without which I perceived myself to be unable to live, as if I no longer existed as an individual – all of this from the starting point of not gifting myself with self-acceptance as I believed acceptance had to be found through other people.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not realize that behind my dependency is the gratification I get from the approval of others – that small moment of joy when another gives me confirmation that my company is enjoyed – because I have not seen myself to be “likable”, “enjoyable”, “nice”, “cool” or any other kind of an acceptable being and believed this experience of being accepted only to be found with/through other people.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to believe and perceive that by telling myself “I am fun to be around!” I will start seeing myself as fun to be around – not realizing that spouting mantras will only cover up the real reasons behind my negative self-definition as they never address the problem and thus never offer a solution – mantras simply repeat the outcome but do not offer the tools to actually get there.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to fear that people will abandon me because I have been unable to comprehend why anyone would want to spend time with me because of my negative self-definition, believing that people spend time with me out of pity and duty or because they plan to hurt/abuse me and not because they actually enjoy my company.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not trust my friends to like me for who I am and fear that they will abandon me, thus having to constantly remind myself that “he/she does really like me!” - not realizing this too is a mantra because I do not fully believe these words and try to make them real by repeating them enough.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to make it a big deal that I am liked, not realizing that it is quite common for people to like each other, and that people liking each other is actually most likely the closest we'll get to a “natural” state of social interaction.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to glorify the fact that another likes me, not realizing that this simply means that we have shed fear from our interaction (or at least most of it) – and that people liking each other is thus not “more” but is actually less as there is less shit inbetween us.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to define myself according to how much people appear to like me, not realizing that me being liked has actually nothing to do with me in fact, because when one's company is enjoyed (without dependency/addiction) it is a sign that the interaction is fearless – not that I am something “more” or that my “likability status” has been upgraded, but that the interaction between me and another is developing towards trust – which is not “who I am” per se but the movement of who I am and who the other is.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to take it personally when another likes / dislikes me, not realizing this to be an indicator of the amount of fear in the other's starting point and not a statement of who I am.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to believe and perceive it to be about the other when I like / dislike another, not realizing this to be an indicator of the amount of fear in my starting point.

  • I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to believe and perceive my experience of liking another is caused by the other, not realizing that I am creating the experience by allowing myself to interact with the other as myself.
  • I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to believe and perceive my experience of disliking another is caused by the other, not realizing that I am creating the experience by not allowing myself to interact with the other as myself because of fear.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to glorify those whom I have liked.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to judge those whom I have disliked.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to desire to be glorified by others as the cause of their experience of liking me.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to fear being judged by others as the cause of their experience of disliking me.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not realize that I cannot take credit for the experience of another no matter how willing they'd be to hand it over to me.



I've come a bit far from what I originally wrote about, but this is really cool – I started to unravel a new point by writing through this anxious experience/emotion I was within and just going with it, pushing myself as I realized a new point was beginning to open up. This has actually been tremendous help.



I commit myself to embrace the moments when I enjoy the company of others – and the company of myself with others! - from the starting point of realizing we are now here without fear and seeing the vast possibilities within such moments.

When and as another expresses that they like / dislike me in direct or indirect communication, I commit myself to remind myself this is nothing personal towards me but more an indicator of who the other is, and that I should not glorify / judge myself according to this because I would then be claiming credit for the experience of another.

I commit myself to flag the moments where I experience myself to like / dislike another and to stop, breathe and look into myself to see if I am passing the blame/credit on the other in order to realize this experience is an indicator of who I am and not who the other is.

I commit myself to investigate and further open up this point of what makes me “likable” and to show myself my company is in fact enjoyable by allowing myself to be in my presence – not by repeating mantras that separate me from myself by not addressing what is here and instead focusing on “what I should be”.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti