maanantai 18. helmikuuta 2013

Day 150: Shopping for food and fantasies


18022013

It is actually quite fascinating to google "food".


I did something unusual today. I was out in the centre of the town taking care of some errands. I had had a strange feeling when going to town, because I had been unsure about whether I will do it now or later – I had not precisely planned my actions – and when I chose to go when leaving from work I had this feeling of “freedom” because I was free to go wherever I wanted because I had nothing planned especially. When I was taking care of my stuff and walking around the city without hurry, a feeling kept accumulating within me: I wanted to go shopping. This was a bit strange for me because I rarely get this “shopping-feeling”, and so I kind of watched myself and my thoughts and feelings and laughed at myself for having this silly desire. Finally I “gave in” to myself and told myself “alright, go shopping then”, to which I replied with a gleeful “oh yay! I get to go to this place and that place and...” lol, and this is where I realized there's a whole bunch of suppressed stuff here, as not shopping has been a part of my self-image for a long time and I associate a lot of shame and guilt with the air-headedness of shopping for useless stuff – and not just that, I feel guilty for buying new useful things as well unless they're something I desperately need (like new shoes when my old ones are too broken to function anymore). When I gave myself permission to participate in my guilty pleasure it was like a dam breaking.

So what I did was that I went to a couple of clothing stores, but I saw the uselessness pretty soon as I didn't really need any clothes, I found nothing useful, everything was too expensive, I knew I couldn't afford anything etc. So the excitement wore off as fast as it exploded. What I did next was interesting, and it's what got me writing about this in the first place: I went to a food store. This is the biggest and fanciest grocery store in the whole town that has a selection of the highest quality of food, from bread to cheese, tea, honey, vegetables, pasta, meat, sweets and a big selection of fresh food and bakery.

To shed light on my background, in my “previous life” some years ago I defined myself as a “food-lover”, this meaning that I spent a considerable amount of money on high-quality food and ate in restaurants regularly. I get a kick out of good food, where I just go into complete euphoria out of the experience of taste, smell and texture. Now, this is something that people are actually taught in some mindfulness-classes, I've heard, to slow down when eating to actually taste your food. The slowing down in itself has been really helpful for me because even when I eat low-quality food I am able to be here in the moment of eating as I nurture my body and appreciate the fact that I have food at all. The downside of this is that one easily slips into the polarity of glorifying the food you eat.

So I was again watching myself as I went to the food store – it was an intentional experiment for me. I had thoughts such as “whoa, that bread looks so good”, “oh my god this cheese smells awesome”, “there are so many different salads”, “how can there exist such a fruit as this”, “how can there be so many different kinds of biscuits”, “oh my god look at these desserts” and so forth – to put it simply, I went into an experience of “being overwhelmed” by the excessive selection of high-quality food available to me. I was reveling in the luxury as a “special” experience, because I have for a long time been living with my cheap, mundane cookings and not been able to afford the high-quality food – and I still don't.

Good quality food in itself isn't a crime, because it is actually a really good thing that we have mastered the art of food, because that means better nutrition for all – except that it isn't for all. Even for me as a citizen of one of the most well-off countries in the world this stuff is too expensive to afford every day, or every week, or every month. What a difference it would make in the lives of people if the cheap shit we eat could be replaced with good-quality ingredients instead! This is a problem in the world system itself, because at the moment there has to be a selection of different quality stuff because of preferences (the era of individualism) and class division: everyone has to afford some kind of food, and thus as poverty is too much of a challenge to tackle, cheaper food is then produced so that the poor would survive. This is not a solution as we are just treating the symptoms of the actual cause.

So what I realized was that I get an energetic high out of good food. It occurs when I know the food I'm eating to be “special” in some way – exclusive, made with effort and care, rare, expensive, or simply something I don't have a chance to eat very often. I also get a kick out of the wide selection of food, as I plunge into the overwhelmingness of “all the choices I have”, wanting to have everything there is around me, completely disregarding the fact that it's not possible for me to have all of the shop's selection. And this point, I guess, is what keeps the food-lovers' culture of dining elitism blooming – this food-high is not questioned – and it is seen justified that one has “the right” to explore all kinds of special foods and ingredients even though the majority of the rest of the world lives in malnutrition. People who grow in this environment cannot imagine having to live without food. “What do you mean, 'do you really need all that'? Of course I do!”



I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to desire good-quality food and feel guilty about it because I cannot afford it and I know I'll survive just fine with lower quality food.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to desire the experience of eating good food, where I anticipate the good food, expecting it to taste good, and accumulate the positive charge until I finally get the food in my mouth and explode with enjoyment and euphoria because of the taste, smell and texture.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not realize that as I do this I actually create the positive experience in my mind as I glorify the taste, smell and texture of the food through thoughts, images, expectations and feelings instead of being HERE with the food without the additional mind-reality on top of it and enjoying it simply for what it is.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to glorify the taste of food by thinking “this tastes so good”.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to glorify the smell of food by thinking “this smells so good”.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to glorify the texture of food by thinking “this feels so good”.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not realize that as I think in words in my mind what an experience is like, I am not actually here fully within the experience but in my mind thinking about what the experience is like – and that I am thus only experiencing a likeness of the experience, like eating a 2D picture of a food and imagining what it tastes like instead of actually tasting the food that is here in the physical.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to create a special relationship towards good food where I state that I “love” good food and accept and allow myself to enjoy food and feel relaxed and comfortable only when eating good food.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to separate food into “good food” and “bad food”, not realizing that despite some difference in quality it's all still food and will keep me alive, more or less, and that in many cases the difference is completely imaginary and/or irrelevant.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to be overwhelmed about the selection of food around me, not seeing the reality of things (a certain amount and variety of food around me) but the mind-reality I paint on top of the actual reality (“oh my god so much food!”).

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to revel in the experience of being overwhelmed because it was a positive experience and I perceived myself to have access to all the things around me (where I momentarily forgot I can't actually afford everything I'd want to have).

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to look at the food items around me and imagine their taste, smell and texture, cross-referencing in my mind with all experiences of similar foods I have eaten, creating an expectation of what the food will taste like based on my previous experiences and then create a desire to have that food. (For example, I did this with bread: I saw a good-looking, freshly baked bread, and I imagined its texture so vividly that I wanted to have the bread with the crisp crust and the soft inner parts and the pieces of nuts and all the oh my god *drool* – luckily I snapped out of this as I didn't really need the bread, lol.)

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to look at the freshly baked sweets and try to come up with an excuse to buy them.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to try to come up with excuses to buy the food I desire so that I could fulfill this desire, not considering my actual needs and the reality of my situation.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself, when and as my experience of being overwhelmed wore off, to go into the other extreme and resent all the food around me because of the injustice of the world situation of poverty and famine.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to look at the large food selection around me and think it is “too much” and “excessive”, judging the people who can afford to buy their daily food in shops like this as “ignorant”.

--

I ended up buying some good food from the shop, which were mainly things I actually needed, but also a little bit of extra. I'm now facing an interesting moment where I am not hungry as I have eaten lunch not too long ago, but because of the new exciting food in my kitchen I feel impatient to get to eat the food already – it's like being a kid who has gotten new toys as christmas presents and wants to play with them all the time – it's the exact same kind of energy. “Oh wow I have all this new food that I want to eat!” “Oh wow I have all these new toys I want to play with!” Lol, this is fascinating.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to create a relationship to food where I perceive food to be entertainment because of the positive energy kicks I get out of eating.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to ward off boredom, anxiety and stress with food as I have done with entertainment.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not see food primarily as nutrition that supports my body and assists me in my daily living, but instead see food as entertainment the purpose of which is to make me feel good, relaxed, joyful and euphoric.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not eat “special” food* without this experience of an energetic high which I induce in my mind with images, thoughts, imagined sensations and expectations. (*”special” here meaning things that I don't usually get to or have a permission to eat, such as sweets or high-quality food).

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not eat “special” food simply as food.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to want to know whether the food I eat is of high or low quality so that I'll know what to expect from it.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to believe my perception of “high quality food”, not questioning whether it is in fact accurate or not. [A point to investigate.]

--

Apart from the food issue, I will walk through the experience that led me to walk into the shop today.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to participate in an experience/feeling of “freedom” where I felt like I had no burden on me, no stress, no one expecting me, no schedule to meet, no expectations – just me free to do as I please – not realizing that this was the polarity experience of the stress and exhaustion I went through yesterday as I tried to compensate for it with a “leisure day”.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not realize that I still have deadlines to meet, people to see and tasks to take care of even if I would be able to cancel them for today, because I would have to face them again tomorrow, and that the experience of “freedom” is thus an illusion I treat myself to to “have a break”.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not realize that if I postpone my tasks, they will come back more urgent later on, which will only lessen my chances to get them done properly.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to suppress my secret desire to go shopping, where I indulge in the overwhelmingness of all the pretty/nice/colourful/tasty/fun things that I could buy (if I had money).

  • I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to suppress who I am right now as someone wanting to go shopping because I am ashamed of my desire to go shopping, not realizing that suppressing is to not face myself and that I will not change myself if I do not face the points I wish to change.
  • I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to live within/as a self-image that does not approve shopping and opposes it, not realizing that as I oppose something I'm actually seeing it within me but not wanting to deal with it as I am afraid of it and thus rather suppress it under disapproval.
  • I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not realize that disapproval is a way to state “I am less than that which I oppose” as one sees oneself as powerless to direct that point within oneself.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to indulge in the act of shopping where I get enjoyment simply out of looking at and touching items that are for sale as I imagine what they would look/feel/taste like if they were mine and what kind of an image I would present of myself with a certain item.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to entertain myself with all the material stuff that there is available by going to shops to look at and touch them, not realizing that a lot of this stuff is actually produced just to serve as entertainment and not as anything practical. (I'm thinking of a shelf-full of colourful canvas shoes I saw today which have absolutely no practical purpose during the nordic winter, and which were also so cheap that I doubt they have been made to last for more than a few months.)

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not realize that the experience of “going shopping” is initially a role-play where one imagines oneself with different items and how one would be with them, swapping new mental images onto oneself as if one was trying on clothes – trying on new self-images and wondering which one would “fit” and please one's ego.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to fantasize about “a new me” as new self-images as I have been indulging in the experience of shopping, wandering amongst the items that serve as building-blocks in my character building process.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to feel “free” when going shopping because I relate going shopping with the memories of the shopping trips I did as a teenager with my friends, as during these trips I felt independent, mature, free, relaxed and excited.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to associate freedom with shopping, believing the possibility to buy “anything” from “any” shop I wanted to be freedom of expression, not realizing that I couldn't be more far from freedom as the whole age of individuality through consumerism has been programmed.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not realize the selection that shops offer and the selection of shops that towns offer is purposefully “overwhelming” as it creates the illusion of diversity which is essential in the construct of individualistic consumerism.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to believe that the selection of items that shops offer is diverse and serves everyone's needs, not realizing that what we see in shops is dictated by personality formats created by the advertisement companies.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to choose my own comfortable personality format to which there were nice and comfortable products offered in the shops, believing myself to be making free choices and be my own individual personality, not realizing that I have actually little say in what I purchase as the selection is dictated from the “above”.



I commit myself to investigate and question my perception of “good-quality food”.

I commit myself when and as I am eating to stop to taste the food I am eating and actually be HERE as an entire body that is taking in food to digest and turn into nutrition – and to assist myself with this, I commit myself to reserve eating time for eating alone and not focus on other activities while eating, such as reading, writing or watching videos.

I commit myself to slow myself down when eating food by focusing on my breath and my body as a whole so that it will be easier for me to spot the moments when I fall into my mind to glorify the food I eat.

I commit myself to consider my actual needs when buying food, even if this means I have to stop with every product I desire and spend more time in the grocery store.

When and as I go into the feeling/experience of “freedom”, I commit myself to ask myself what I am freeing myself from and to stop, breathe and answer myself within/as self-honesty. This question will assist me in seeing the point I am trying to escape.

When and as I get the urge to go shopping, I stop, I breathe and I realize that the experience I'm after is an illusion of freedom where I accept and allow myself to participate in extensive imagination play, ignorance and self-interest. I realize that the experience of shopping is based on participating in positive energy, which I channel through my memories of happy shopping trips, and on allowing myself to be directed by my desires. I stop and assess whether I actually have a need to buy something, and I carry on with my day according to my assessment. If I do not need to buy anything, I will not go wonder around shops but will instead direct myself to go elsewhere and do something else. If resistance occurs, I will further investigate the point.

I commit myself to investigate my memories of shopping and the positive feelings I associate with buying things in order to resolve the fuck-up we have become as a consumerist society and carry my responsibility over our creation.


PS. Yay for Day 150!

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti