lauantai 10. elokuuta 2013

Day 288: Fear of a group disowning me


08 & 10082013

Both a symbolic and a concrete depiction of what group work can be.


Before and during this trip I made several decisions on how to reorganize my life. My main occupation is changing from restaurant work into studying, and I am happy about that, even though I will be doing restaurant work as a part-time job to be able to support myself. I have been working through my disdain towards restaurant work and at the moment I do not feel resistance to it, although I do think that I will have to return to this topic when I actually start working again and face the points there that I haven't yet dealt with.

I am happy to be studying because I will be “allowed” to educate myself as an occupation, as a main responsibility. This will allow me to focus on self-development more than ever since childhood when my parents took care of my living. Many people have told me that studying is hard, and I am prepared for it, I know it's not going to be a peachy fantasy scenario of a Hermione sitting in a magical library with piles of books and magical answers – the reality of having to read through piles of books is really darn harsh, lol.

So, to make room for this completely new kind of an occupation - as I do not yet know what exactly it's going to be like, how much time it's going to take, how I change as a result – I have decided to no longer participate in theatre or movie projects. Cutting down on filmmaking is relatively easy because the group that I used to work in kind of collapsed and is no longer functioning, and not giving into the temptation to roll into castings is not a big deal since I didn't do that much anyway. But theatre is an entirely different challenge. I have literally lived in that theatre for the past 14 years of my life (and as I am only 24 years old, that is quite a lot). I enjoy the work that we do because it allows me freedom of expression and possibilities to try new creative things, new media, new venues, new ideas. I also very much like the people there because they are my friends as well as partners – they are the only solid group of friends that I have – and this is the reason I started to write about this topic today, because I realized I am tempted to waver from my decision simply because I miss these people and would be overjoyed to spend time with them. I feel like not participating I would be missing out on something, and I fear that the group will stop recognizing me as a part of them. I fear that I will lose them.

So why am I attracted to their company? What is it I receive when I am with them? Who am I with them? How do we spend our time together? And why do I see them “special” enough to feel that I am losing something essential by not having them as a constant part of my life? There will be other people, after all - I will not be alone – and I am not turning my back on these people completely and burning bridges, no. There is nothing personal in recognizing the reality of there being limited hours in a day and how that affects the formation of my social circles.



Rambling:

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to believe and perceive that the people who have been participating in my self-expression have something to do with my self-expression, that my self-expression is dependent on these people, not realizing that even though these people provide the circumstances in which I have opportunities to express myself in certain ways, I am the one moving myself to take these opportunities and thus the one to take credit for what I do and live as.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not realize that I can be grateful for the circumstances these people have provided through their own self-expression without making it a point of dependency.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to believe and perceive that my surroundings are responsible for who I am within them.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not realize that I am responsible for who I am within the surroundings I am, and that I am also responsible for being within those surroundings in the first place; I never just “happen to be there”.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to give credit for / direct blame towards my surroundings (people, facilities, activities) for who I am within my surroundings.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to give credit for my self-expression for the people in my surroundings when in fact I have accepted and allowed myself to express myself a certain way by not being afraid of the response of my environment.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to feel “safe” to express myself with the people in my theatre.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not realize that even with the people in my theatre I am expressing the personality I am comfortable with in that environment – the “who I am” of theatre – and that I rarely go past the limits of my comfort zone even within theatre, and even then within the guidelines of that specific theatre culture.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to believe and perceive that in theatre I am “free” in my self-expression, when this is in fact not true.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to believe and perceive that if I am not in the presence of the people from theatre, I will be unable to be “free” in my self-expression.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not realize that what I have defined as “free self-expression” within this theatre context is a very specific kind of form of expression which I rarely utilize in any other social environment – and that the fact that this expression is rare does not mean that it is “more true” than any other form of expression.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to fear utilizing this kind of self-expression in other contexts because I have feared that it will not be understood and that people will then judge me.

[I have been expanding the limits of this little by little. For example, there is a theatre exrcise I have used on the streets: I imitate the different ways people walk (without getting caught, lol) – not to mock them, not to build a caricature, but to understand why they move the exact way they do. This has been a really cool way to learn about physiology, character building and personalities.]

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to fear that others will judge me for singing, dancing, improvised movement, using my voice unconventionally and using touch in communication because these forms of expression are not common in most people's everyday lives.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to believe and perceive that the fact that these forms of expression are not present in people's everyday lives means that they are not wanted – not realizing that the reason these forms of expression are not present in everyday lives is because we as a civilization have habitualized ourselves to a very narrow scope of expression, and that to broaden that scope is to introduce these forgotten ways of self-expression through re-habitualization – by simply doing it and encouraging others to join in.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to fear that utilizing these tools of self-expression (sing, dance, voice, movement, touch) would result in nobody understanding me and nobody joining in – not realizing that it would not matter even if nobody expressed acceptance if my actions indeed were self-expression, which in itself is self-acceptance.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not realize that self-expression is self-acceptance – to express myself is to face and embrace who I am in that point of time and space.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to fear that others will focus on how “well” I express myself (how well I sing, dance, move etc.) and thus become inhibited from joining in – which is the opposite of what happens within (our) theatre, where joy of expression is primary and skill secondary.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not realize that the reason why people are likely to not join in with these forms of expression outside of theatre is the fact that they have not had the opportunity, the support nor the tools to develop such self-intimacy and self-confidence that one learns when doing performing arts – and that it is thus unreasonable to expect people to know how to “join in” when all they have done throughout their lives is suppressed sitting, walking and talking.



I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to fear that I will become alienated from this group of people when and as I stop participating in our usual activity.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to fear that if I do not participate in theatre work these people will see me as “not one of them” and that I will lose their acceptance.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not realize that no matter what I do and don't do with any person in this world, I am one with and equal to each and every living being and thus cannot become truly separate from anyone as alienation is an illusion created in the mind; In the physical reality we are of the same matter and of the same LIFE no matter what thoughts may run through our minds.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not realize that as I fear “not belonging” I simultaneously desire “to belong”, and that as I within this desire already state that there is something I am not part of, I myself create a separation inbetween me and the others.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not see, realize and understand that regardless of my fears and desires I am already a part of everything and that nothing can thus be taken away from me.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not trust these people to appreciate me for who I am even if I no longer wish to support the things they do.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to want to please people so that they would like me – not realizing that it is not “me” who they are then appreciating but my representation of who I believe they want me to be.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to see my theatre group as something I have to “earn” my way into through actions that are considered valuable, not realizing that while this is to an extent true (if I do nothing within a group then I am not really a part of it) these “rules of access” are man-made that can be abused to distance myself from the physical reality where we are all just people of equal value, not judges who judge each other, pass punishments and grant each other privileges.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not realize that even though I will no longer spend time with these people as much as before, which will lead to us developing apart from each other (not necessarily to opposite directions) and having less to do with each other in our lives, I am not separate from them in fact and thus do not have to fear losing anyone.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to fear losing this group of friends because to me they represent functioning groupwork and a supportive social environment – things I haven't found anywhere else yet on this scale.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not trust myself to be able to introduce and construct functioning groupwork and supportive social environments myself into places where they do not yet exist based on what I have learned while working in theatre.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to want to stay within my theatre environment because there the above-mentioned concepts already exist and work and thus I don't have to implement anything new to make things work.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to fear leaving theatre behind and moving onto new social environments and new challenges because there I would have to take what I've learned and adjust it into practice in circumstances where it might be strange, difficult and effortful – not realizing that in terms of development (mine and others') this might be exactly what needs to be done precisely because it is uncomfortable.



Conclusion:

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to fear the end of an era.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to perceive life to consist of “eras”, as if life was split into chapters like a book, not realizing that in reality there is only this one constant NOW-moment and that perceiving time to be divided in “chapters” always chains me into the past and/or the future as a chapter consists of a beginning, a middle and an end – all of which do not exist in the NOW-moment.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not realize that even though one form of interaction will not be present in my life for now, I am not limited from interacting with these people in different circumstances if I so will.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to limit myself from seeing all the possible ways of interacting with these people because I have wanted to hold onto the old familiar way of interacting with them.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not see these people as individuals but as a group entity, not realizing that this approach limits me from seeing the possibilities each individual or different formation of the group offers.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not realize that I have been emotionally attached to the group entity – my own conceptual creation that represents acceptance and companionship – and not the individuals themselves, and that what I fear losing in therefore also not actually real, which means that my “loss” is actually an illusion.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not see, realize and understand that in reality I am not losing anything at all.



I commit myself to give myself time and space to re-shape my life into such where the social relations I invest my time into are enjoyable, constructive, supportive and based on self-honesty.

I commit myself to investigate what the difference is between having a relationship based on honesty and one based on self-honesty – in other words, I commit myself to check my definitions of the words “honest” and “self-honest”.

I commit myself to utilize the tools (voice, movement, touch) I have acquired and adopted through performance arts in all areas of my life within and as the realization that while allowing myself to do so I also encourage others to broaden their “vocabulary” of self-expression.

I commit myself to utilize what I have learned from team work in theatre by experimenting with it in university environment and study work.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti