sunnuntai 7. heinäkuuta 2013

Days 269-270: Racial prejudice


06-07072013



Today I was walking to the convenience store with my friend and on the street we witnessed and uncommon incident. An old local man was sitting by the road and another man (caucasian) was walking from the store carrying a bottle of soda in a plastic bag. The old man stood up, stopped the other man, took the bottle from the plastic bag and started walking away with the bottle. Here we stopped to look at what was going on because the old man just did it, “this is now mine”, and started leisurely walking away, not running. The other man was as confused as we were and just followed the old man for a while. I don't know if he ever got it back because we continued on.

According to my friend what we saw was really out of place; she has lived here for 18 months and never seen anything like it. The culture here is that everything is of common property, but still people don't exactly “steal” unless they're driven to it by extreme poverty. The culture of sharing or forceful claiming might be the cause of the low crime rate – a lot of stealing is not recognized to be stealing, it's just taking what's rightfully yours. Which does have a logic of its own as all of the Earth's resources should belong to everyone, but we do not yet live in a society where this would actually function through equal distribution, so for now I just call this coercion and theft.

When we discussed this incident afterwards I pointed out the obvious “white man” prejudice: maybe the old man took from the white man because the overall misconception is that all white men are rich and have plenty from which to share. My friend then replied that during her stay here she has learned that these incidents mostly have to do with simple human relations rather than racism, and that every time when she has tried to solve a situation without bringing up the possible racial prejudice someone else pulls out the “racism card” – and this is when I realized that this is true, that the racial argument is an easy answer, an easy explanation. To just say “because racism” is to bypass all of the processes that lead up to racial prejudice or to any sort of prejudice for that matter. I will now carry responsibility for supporting racial prejudice by assuming it from others, and by downplaying a lot of what happens within a human being by compressing it into a “racism explanation”.



I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to believe and perceive that all the locals live according to the misconception that people with “white skin” (everyone who is not black) is rich in material possessions, and I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to react to this belief/perception with fear of others judging me and thinking less of me because of an assumption that is based on nothing but the colour of my skin and has nothing to do with who I am.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to fear being unfairly judged because it affects how others treat me, behave around me and relate themselves to me in spite of my own application.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not realize that if others choose to believe their perception of me in spite of my application, there is nothing I can do about it but to move on to other people and other circumstances where movement might be possible.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to use the concept of racism to explain human behavior without looking into what causes racism to formulate – what exactly accumulates into racism.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not look at myself and how I have lived as racism in order to figure out how racism is created.

--

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to think of people of different ethnicities as mine as “others” - the ones that are opposite from me, separate from me, disengaged from me.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself, as I have always lived in a homogenous society with one dominant ethnicity, to define this one dominant ethnicity as “familiar” and “safe” and react with fear whenever I come across people of an ethnicity I have defined as “unfamiliar”.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to believe and perceive that the physical appearance of a person is a boundary that separates us from each other, like a wall standing in between us, not stopping to actually face and interact with the other to see, realize and understand that the wall is a wall of FEAR which I have created and imagined to be real.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself within my fear to avoid facing a person of a different ethnicity, thus stopping myself from seeing, realizing and understanding that we are both LIFE, that we both breathe and move and have beating hearts and pulsing bodies, and that in that we are absolutely equal – the amount of LIFE in both of us is equal.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to be moved by my fear of “the others” into avoiding contact with those who I have defined as “unfamiliar” / “alien”.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to avoid eye contact with people of “unfamiliar” ethnicities.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to avoid touch contact with people of “unfamiliar” ethnicities.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to avoid conversation with people of “unfamiliar” ethnicities.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to interact with people of “unfamiliar” ethnicities through fear, reservation, reluctance, tension, stereotyping, assumptions - never giving these people a fair chance because I never allow myself to look at who they actually are with eyes unclouded by fear.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to live as prejudice by believing that “I know” something about the other better than he/she knows it him/herself, not realizing that this claim is arrogant as well as absurd because I cannot know the subjective experience of another, especially not based on first impression alone.



When and as I see myself avoiding contact with a person of an “unfamiliar” ethnicity – I stop, I breathe and I realize I am erecting an imaginary wall in between two equal beings of life. I stabilize my breath, find my heartbeat if possible and I move myself out of my position of hiding by physically opening myself up by releasing muscle tension, turning to face the other and making sure my posture is open, relaxed and supportive. I search myself for any trace of prejudice and remind myself that in fact I don't know anything about the other person for certain.

I commit myself to no longer accept and allow my racial prejudice to move me by utilizing the self-corrective statement above.

--

I was just talking with my friend about the reoccurring themes we have discussed lately and I noticed that I was about to pull out another compressed explanation – this time only it was not the “racism card” but the idea of this culture being in a “teenage” state of development which I have used to explain immature behavior in relationships. I realized that there are more of these explanation cards than just the racism one, and I will deal with this issue separately.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti