perjantai 24. tammikuuta 2014

Days 384-385: Re-aligning my relationship to children


22 & 24012014



Before I continue with my writings on efficiency, I would like to focus on a point that has surfaced just recently. I read Anna's blog post about how children learn to fear adults, and the realization process that begun unconsciously as I read the text came to an epiphany yesterday.

I have been directing a basic course of theatre for children around the age 7-13 since September. My group has around 16 kids, and the course has been going quite well with no major conflicts or disagreements. At the end of our last week's meeting, however, we were doing an exercise that was a bit out of ordinary an unpleasant to some kids, and a child got upset and angry towards another child. I tried to resolve the situation with no success: I went to talk to the upset child who had run away and also asked for the other child, the one she was angry towards, to join the discussion and explain his point of view on what happened. However, the other child was reluctant to join in, very defensive in his speech and left the situation as fast as he could. The upset child refused to answer anything I said throughout the situation. Both children ended up leaving feeling bad – and so did I.

What I realized yesterday was why the other child was defensive. As I asked him to come discuss the matter, it was a setting very similar to situations where kids are often assumed to have done something “wrong” for which they need to be punished. I can now see that he was afraid of getting told off, of getting punished, of having to apologize for no reason, of being unfairly responsible. I was not going to do any of this, but I did not realize that I would have actually needed to clarify this to the child, as I, in that situation, was a representation of the punishing adult figure. This is a whole new position of responsibility for me as an adult.

What I also realized is where I went wrong with the child that got upset. She reacted to a specific role she was assigned within a play scenario, which was not intended as an insult but was more a result of carelessness. I explained the situation to her and did what I could to offer her assistance to walk through the reaction, but she chose to hold onto her emotion. Originally this is not how I saw it: I was moving by my fear of failure. Throughout this course I have been afraid of failing in the eyes of my superiors (my mentor & the parents of the children), and I have defined “failure” to happen when the children do not in any way enjoy the course or learn anything of value. When the child reacted and ran away, I reacted to what I saw through this fear and tried to “fix” the situation (soothe the child) so that my superiors wouldn't judge me (the child's parents). What I failed to realize here was the reality of individual experience and choice, and also the context of what actually happened. By trying to comfort the child I also validated her reaction, even though her reaction was not in fact valid – so instead of holding onto my fear of failure and trying to get her to calm down, I could've clearly explained the situation to her and left her to process on her own when she chose to shut down, because that moment onwards she was already on a one-way track: the mind-pattern, the “program”, had already been initialized, it was already running.



I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not realize that because the relationship between adults and children has been warped into a power play where adults hold the power and children are stripped of individual will, I as an adult and the one “in power” am responsible for de-constructing and re-building this relationship.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not realize that children fear me because to them I represent all the adults they have met, possibly ones that have punished them and treated them as lesser beings.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not take into consideration the fact that children in general are indirectly taught to fear adults.

  • As a side note: do you know the moment when you look at a younger child and at first they immediately draw back and just watch you very keenly to see who you are? After which they either decide to relax or to remain withdrawn. That's a phenomenon I am guessing has something to do with this fear point.


I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to fear that my authorities (my mentor and the parents) will perceive and believe that I am doing a bad job with the course and define me “incapable”, “unfit”, “unqualified”, thus meaning that I have failed in my attempt to design and direct the course.

  • I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to want/desire to be “capable”, “fit” and “qualified”, wanting to “have a place” in the world and do something constructive, be useful and for my existence to be meaningful, thus creating a fear of being the opposite: “incapable”, “unfit” and “unqualified”. [This point needs elaboration.]

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to define my mentor as my “authority” because she has taught me a lot, not realizing that teaching another person does not grant that person (direct) power over the other.
  • By teaching the other things from his/her perspective there IS power being used, as in presenting a perspective as the whole truth, but this is indirect power play which I will not go into.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to believe and perceive that when I am taught by another, the other is then “more” and I am “less” because he/she happened to have the information before I did and was willing to share this with me – not realizing that this makes no sense at all.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not realize that the relationship of a teacher and the one being taught is not a one-way exchange, but that within that moment of interaction both may learn from each other – and that the act of teaching and being taught in itself thus holds no power relations and can be based on equality.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not realize that as my mentor has taught me, I have taught her in exchange, even though I haven't done this in a traditional setting of teaching.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not realize that I am an equal to my mentor.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not see myself as an equal to my mentor.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to fear that my mentor will see what I'm doing with the kids and react to it because I'm not directing the course the same way as she used to, not realizing that her reaction is primarily an indication of who she is (reacting to change) and not a sign that I'm doing things “wrong”.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to assume that my mentor would react negatively if she saw what I'm doing with the kids as I perceive and believe she doesn't trust me to “know what I'm doing”.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to believe and perceive that my mentor doesn't trust me, not realizing that her allowing me to take on this responsibility and then undertake it for months already without her direct supervision, is in fact an act of trust.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not trust myself to “know what I'm doing”.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to define “knowing what I'm doing” to mean I have a clear vision behind which I can stand firm like a mountain, thus executing the plan without failure – not realizing that I am looking at an ideal and not the reality of who I am at the moment.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not realize that even though I do not attain the ideal I still, to an extent, have a vision of what I'm doing with the course, principles that I act upon, a plan that I am somewhat following even there are changes on the way – and that how I'm doing it is in fact choosing the path of uncertainty in order to take all components into consideration, thus allowing more flexibility and more power to the children, rather than choosing the path of certainty and overriding a lot of factors just to keep the plan going.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to judge myself for not being certain of what I'm doing with the course, not realizing that it is not a bad thing, as now the course is there as a platform to serve the participants and not the other way around.


I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to react with fear of things spinning out of control when I saw the child getting angry and running off.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not realize that within that moment the fear of failure activated in me, thus dictating all of my following actions.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to feel obligated to go to the child to try and “fix” things – to “fix” the chaos.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to believe and perceive that if there's chaos on the course, I have failed – not realizing that directing 16 individual beings without it ever going chaotic is a challenge that I might not and don't have to live up to.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to accumulate my fear of failure further when I talked to the child and she did not reply, as I interpreted her silence to mean that I was saying the “wrong” things, not realizing that she had already withdrawn and shut down from the moment onwards that I touched her and staid beside her.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not realize that when she asked me to leave her alone, I should have actually done that.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to not realize that when she asked to be left alone and I dismissed her request by thinking I know better and now have to explain the situation to her, I contributed to her shutting down by not letting her have the space she wanted.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself to dismiss her request to be left alone as I was moving by my fear of failure, thus feeling like I “have to do something” and not just leave her alone, as leaving her alone felt like “doing nothing” - when in fact giving her space and allowing her to process the situation on her own would have been “doing something”.



When and as I see a child reacting negatively during the course, I stop, I breathe and I scan myself for any self-judgement. I remind myself that the reaction of a person on its own doesn't say anything about the trigger, even though the reaction can be used to reflect upon the trigger – and that the reactions of the children are not direct statements about what the course is and who I am as a director. I breathe and I let go of the self-judgement in self-forgiveness in breath. I then look at the situation from the child's perspective, ask questions if needed and proceed accordingly.

I commit myself to de-construct and re-construct my relationship to children to be one based on equality and oneness.

I commit myself to find and speak the words to describe my approach to directing this course in order to define my stance and thus build trust in myself.

I commit myself to stop and breathe to listen when a child makes a request.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti